Terms and Conditions of Workshops
Our commitment to you: Your contract is with Colin Prior Ltd (hereinafter also referred to as “CPL” or “we” or “us”), of 4 Princes Gate, Bothwell, Glasgow, UK, G71 8SP, registered in Scotland under Company No. SC280934. All workshops you book with us are organised and sold subject to the following conditions:
Booking and Payment
1. To confirm your booking you are required to pay a non-refundable deposit of 25% of the trip price. Your balance must be paid by the due date shown on your invoice or in correspondence and failure to do so may result in the cost being increased or ultimately cancellation. Once we receive your deposit and having accepted your booking form, the contract between us will become binding and we will send you an invoice for the balance and advise you of the date for payment of the same. Brochure and website prices are quoted in UK Sterling. Payment will be accepted by:
- Maestro, Visa Electron, Visa Debit and Solo debit cards or Visa/Mastercard/American Express credit cards
(a surcharge of 2% will be levied for payments by credit card and non-UK debit cards).
- Bank Transfer (details available from our office).
Cancellation of Booking
2. Any cancellation must be notified in writing by the person who made the booking. If you cancel your workshop:
a. More than 56 days prior to the start of your holiday, you will only be charged your deposit.
b. Between 56 and 30 days, you will be charged 50% of the workshop.
c. Less than 30 days before the start of your workshop or on or after the commencement of the workshop, you must pay the full workshop price.
Note: We appreciate that wholly unforeseen events may result in cancellation. We therefore strongly advise you to take out insurance against irrecoverable cancellation cost (see Point 8 below). You will be advised of the exact amount of any cancellation charge prior to the cancellation being finalised.
Changes or Cancellation by Us
3. Before you enter into a contract with us, we reserve the right to change any of the facilities, services or prices described in our brochure or website. We also reserve the right to cancel the workshop. For example, if the minimum number of clients required for a trip is not fulfilled, we may have to cancel your workshop. It is unlikely we will have to make any changes to your workshop and any changes are usually very minor. If a major change becomes necessary, we will inform you as soon as reasonably possible if there is time before your workshop begins. A major change is an alteration to the start or finish times of your workshop by more than 12 hours, a change of workshop location or a change to a lower standard of accommodation. When a major change or cancellation occurs you will have the choice of either accepting the change of arrangements, purchasing another available workshop from us, or cancelling your workshop. We will refund all payments made directly to us in respect of the workshop cost. We will not refund any personal expenses you may have incurred as a result of your booking such as flight payments for land-only trips, travel insurance, equipment purchases, visas, vaccinations etc. Where a major change or cancellation arises from circumstances amounting to force majeure (see below), we will endeavour to refund all sums as yet unpaid by us to our suppliers, however it is your responsibility to claim the remainder of any irrecoverable payments and charges from your travel insurers.
Changes by the client
4. If a client, after booking onto a trip and paying a deposit and/or full payment, would like to change onto an alternative trip, an additional administration fee of £50 is charged. If the trip originally booked starts within eight weeks of the request to change trips being made, any such change may be treated as a cancellation by the client, in which case the cancellation conditions in section 2 will apply.
5. Any information provided by Colin Prior Limited in such matters as climate, clothing, baggage, travel, accommodation, special equipment etc. is given in good faith but without responsibility on the part of Colin Prior Limited.
Adventure Travel and Client Responsibility
6. It is a fundamental booking condition that you accept the hazards involved in this sort of trip and you accept that in visiting remote and mountainous regions there is an element of on-tour flexibility. The itinerary stated in the trip dossier is indicative only and not a guarantee that a particular route will be followed or place reached. You must acknowledge that delays and alterations and their results, such as inconvenience and discomfort, are possible where unforeseen circumstances arise. You must have a level of fitness commensurate with your chosen trip and you are responsible for bringing the appropriate equipment, details of which will be sent to you at the time of booking. If, in the opinion of the Colin PriorLtd or staff, your fitness or equipment may compromise the safety of a trip we reserve the right to cancel or terminate your holiday. In these circumstances you will not be entitled to a refund or compensation.
7. Accommodation is usually private in single, twin or double rooms unless stated otherwise. If single room accommodation is restricted, we will try to accommodate requests but a single supplement will often apply – please check at the time of booking. When making a booking you accept that this additional supplement may apply and, where appropriate, you will be advised and invoiced for the relevant amount.
Personal Travel Insurance
8. It is a condition of booking that you are insured against medical and personal accident risks. This must cover the activities undertaken and include repatriation costs, air ambulance and helicopter rescue services and cancellation and curtailment.
Colin Prior Limited works with Campbell Irvine insurance whose policies are specially designed for adventure holidays. This insurance can be arranged directly with Campbell Irvine by phone or online. Campbell Irvine can provide travel insurance for all EU residents (other than those of Switzerland, Russia, Belarus, Montenegro and the Ukraine). If you reside outside the EU then Campbell Irvine have partnered with IMG Globe Hopper, who can arrange insurance for persons living anywhere in the world.
If you choose not to take out insurance through Campbell Irvine, it is your responsibility to ensure that the insurance cover you purchase is adequate and you must complete the declaration in the booking form to confirm this. You must provide proof of this insurance to our office (i.e. your insurance certificate) prior to departure along with written confirmation from your insurer that they will meet any rescue fees incurred without their advance approval. If you cannot provide this documentation, we reserve the right to cancel your booking at any time prior to the departure date.
In the event of emergency medical rescue and/or repatriation from a trip by whatever means, the responsibility of such costs will be borne by the client. It is therefore essential that adequate cover is in place. We strongly recommend that you take out an insurance policy at the same time as booking.
All luggage and personal equipment are, at all times, at your own risk. We will not be responsible whatsoever for any loss, damage to your luggage and/or personal equipment. We therefore recommend that your insurance policy include cover for baggage and personal items.
Medical Conditions and Dietary Requirements
9. If you are affected by a medical condition, which may affect your or other people’s enjoyment of the workshop, you must advise this at the time of booking. Similarly, you must advise us of dietary requirements at the time of booking.
Independent Travel Arrangements
10. We will not be responsible or liable for your actions or your safety for any independent travel you undertake before, during (if you choose to leave) or after the workshop.
11. If you have a complaint about the workshop you should make it known to your guide/leader at the earliest opportunity. If you do not feel that your guide has dealt with your complaint in a satisfactory manner, we encourage you to contact our office as soon as possible so that we can help find an agreeable solution during your trip. Any outstanding complaint not resolved during the trip should be notified to us in writing within 30 days of the scheduled date of return.
Our Liability and Compensation
12.Colin Prior Ltd will accept liability for the negligence of its employees causing direct physical injury to passengers only to the extent that it is obliged under Scots law. We cannot be held responsible for any mishap to yourself or your property, and in particular for the consequences of flight cancellations, vehicle accidents, strikes, sickness, Government or customs or police intervention or other such happenings amounting to force majeure.
We shall not be liable for any damages caused by the total or partial failure to carry out the holiday if such failure is: attributable to anyone other than the Colin Prior Ltd staff; unforeseeable or unavoidable and attributed to a third party unconnected to us; a result of unusual or unforeseeable circumstances, reasonably beyond the control of Colin Prior Ltd; a result of an event which Colin Prior Ltd or any of its agents, even with all due care, could not foresee. Where Colin Prior Ltd are found to be liable for damages in respect of its failure to carry out the holiday, the maximum amount of such damages, compensation and loss of enjoyment will normally be limited to two times the cost of the trip. Where the damage relates to damage caused by the provision of road, rail, river or sea transport, or hotel accommodation, any compensation payable will be limited by the Athens Convention 1974 (sea), the Berne Convention 1961 (rail), and the Paris Convention 1962 (hotel accommodation). All air transport is undertaken entirely at your own risk. Any independent arrangements you make which are not part of the trip are entirely at your own risk.
Variation of Booking Conditions
13. The booking conditions may only be waived by a Director of Colin Prior Ltd in writing. When you sign the booking form you agree to accept all these booking conditions, and when we accept your booking we agree to carry out our obligations to you as defined in holiday information provided to you. Both sides of this agreement are made subject to, and must be interpreted and enforced according to Scots Law in a Scottish Court.
Colin Prior Limited – 1st March 2015